Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Random thoughts

I've always read so much abt mummies complaining abt their baby not being able to sleep at nite. Methods like ignoring them, letting them cry it out or the Put up/ Put down methods were all widely discussed and used in forums. Book authors like tracy hogg or gina ford must have made millions for their methods and advices, for I see their name being mentioned to death. Sometimes I wonder, is it really so difficult to put a baby to sleep? I understand that a newborn still needs the time to settle and adjust to their bio clock, but for a baby coming to half a year of age, is it really that bad? If the child cries out for the warmth of your body, the love from your touch, do you wanna ignore it just because you want them to settle into your schedule?
Are we being too demanding on the baby? I cant help but wonder.
I started out doing what most ppl do- leave the baby in her cot and let her cry to sleep. However, she simply refuses to, and it put an emotional strain on me rather than her! I never fail to yield to her cries and pick her up. Now she can manage a 2hr power nap easily, after I dicovered that she likes to sleep on our bed in the afternoon. Maybe its the smell of us, her parents, which lingers on the sheets. That reinforced my point that, we shldnt be so hard on the baby and ignore their cries, when its obvious that we are to them, their everything.
Then again, dun be too quick to shoot me! Im juz stating my point of view as a sahm. Hehe. I know working lives drains whatever energies thats left of a mum, but hey, your child is only gg to be a baby once.


Angelic moments like this isnt forever, soon they'll be sleeping with horns, tail and a pitchfork. Im just gonna savour all this precious moments while I can.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree with u.. Sometimes i thought i wanna 'train' Chloe to settle by herself. But seeing her wailing for my hug and affection; i couldn't bear to leave her in her cot alone. Elderly complaint that we shouldn't succumb to her cry easily, but as u mentioned, she is going to be a baby only once.

    I'm so feeling it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also agree with u..our baby is only baby once lor...just follow our maternal instincts..never goes wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah akena, I agree! Maternal instinct, no matter how we anyhow humtum oso will not go wrong! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete